Too Many Shoes?
Since we got the flat file, we’ve been on a great sorting-and-discarding jag. He even picked out several items from his Obsolete Computer Components Collection (OC3) to send to the Computer Recycling Center.
So, the next time we walked around Spring Lake, I asked what he thought I should get rid of. I was expecting him to say “knick-knacks” or “dolls” or (most likely) “books,” but he surprised me by saying, “Well, shoes.” He went on to say, “There are so many, and they’re all over the house, and I trip on them and can’t find my shoes.”
How did I ever get so many shoes? Well, duh, thrifting, where novelty is queen and prices are irresistible.
So the next day when he was out of the house, I brought all my shoes into the living room, lined them up, and took a look.
I can’t seem to get the same number every time I count, but it’s about 50 pairs of shoes. Yes, women need more shoes than guys do — he can wear the same few pairs all year round, while they’re an accessory item for me. But still. There were many more dressy and business shoes than I have occasion to wear. Heels and fancy shoes are uncomfortable, so I don’t wear them around town anyway, preferring sneakers and walking shoes and sandals.
Using the 80/20 rule, I quickly identified 10 of the 50 pairs (20%) as my workhorses, my daily go-to footwear. So as not to be altogether too dramatic, I decided to reduce the remaining 80% by just half — donating or selling 20 pairs.
It went surprisingly quickly. Cute fancy flats I never wear? Gone. Extra pairs of business heels in case I ever have that kind of job? Buh-bye. Knee-high blonde boots and slutty black boots? Not worth the closet space.
I took one big box directly to Heavenly Treasures Thrift & Gift, where homeless women from The Living Room can buy clothing and shoes with clothing vouchers, and a second batch went on consignment to Pine Grove General Store in Sebastopol, where I hope to squeeze a little dough out of them.
And was he ever surprised! Now he can walk into our walk-in closet without stepping on my shoes. I’m going to keep that 80/20 principle in mind as I evaluate other Things. (Art supplies, you’re next!)
Come on, fashionistas, confess — how many pairs of shoes do you think you have?
P.S. After I posted this photo on Facebook, the general consensus was that I should retrieve the pointy red shoes in the front, which I did.